After a disasterous year in 2007, we decided to move the location of our garden, change the crops and, since I haven't just had major surgery, be more diligent in its care. The soil in our new location is much better and is where the previous family had a beautiful flower bed. Because of this our produce is surrounded by Iris and Roses. Honestly, if it wasn't for my brother Patrick planting my garden, my brother John donating things, my Dad having an enormous green thumb and my neighbor replacing what died early our garden would be pretty pathetic. Our neighbor heard me lamenting one morning that our tomatoes were doing terribly so he handed over beautiful, foot tall plants that he said were "extra". What a nice guy. And to think, all I contribute to the neighborhood is noise and lost balls in neighbors yards. Our tomatoes are not looking very good yet. We've had cool, rainy weather and the tomatoes need dry heat. Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather buy tomatoes from Texas and enjoy my cool weather if necessary.

Our peppers are the first fruit we've seen. Uncle John grew these from seed and donated them to our garden.

This is our beautiful kale that Patrick planted. I wouldn't have thought to plant kale but it's been a delight to have. I've been sauting the leaves with garlic and red onion and then sprinkling them with balsamic vinegar. Really tasty!

Our lettuce is really lovely but the cottonwood has made it almost impossible to eat. No matter how hard I try to pick it all out any bits left turn to cobwebs in the lettuce when I wash it. I keep trying though. I may even try having the boys blow it off with the big leaf blower before I pick it.

Pumpkins! These will most definitely be our best crop. They are growing huge and everywhere. I've told the kids that if we get a bunch like last year we'll sell them on the corner and do something fun with the money we earn.

Our strawberries are doing beautifully as well although I doubt we'll get more than a few. The next tenants here will reap the benefits of this crop I guess. Our neighbor's Crabapple tree hangs over our back fence and we planted the strawberries under the branches. They seem to love this environment. Notice the crazy cottonwood ... yuck.

Timothy took this picture of one of our roses. The previous family planted amazing roses. Right now we have four different types blooming: long stem, bright pink; yellow with pink edges; white and corral. They are beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment